MOSCOW (MRC) -- Advanced Petrochemical signed an amendment to the partnership agreement between its subsidiary, Advanced Global Investment Co. (AGIC), and SK Gas Petrochemical Pte. Ltd. (SKGP), a unit of SK Gas Co. Ltd., said Chemweek.
Under the amendment, an isopropanol (IPA) plant with a capacity of 70,000 tons per annum will be added, along with the Propane Dehydrogenation (PDH) and Polypropylene (PP) plants that were already announced earlier.
The company said in a bourse statement that by adding the IPA plant with an estimated cost of SAR 300 million (USD80 million), the total cost of the project for the three factories is currently estimated to be approximately SAR 7.05 billion (USD1.88 billion).
The project will be financed 25% by equity from shareholders and remaining 75% will be financed by the joint venture firm through borrowing from lenders. The company expects the financial impact of the investment to reflect after the commencement of commercial operations in the second half of 2024.
Any major development related to the project will be announced as per related regulations and instructions, the statement added. The inclusion of the IPA plant is part of strategy to promote the downstream industry in line with the Vision 2030, the company said, adding that IPA is used in variety of applications including hand sanitizers, medical applications, electronics industry, etc.
According to data compiled by Argaam, in March, Advanced signed a partnership agreement with SK Gas Co. Ltd. to establish and operate propane dehydrogenation (PDH) and polypropylene (PP) complex with a design capacity of 843,000 metric tons per annum of propylene and 800,000 metric tons per annum of polypropylene in Jubail Industrial City worth SAR 6.75 billion (USD1.8 billion).
As MRC informed earlier, on 29 January 2015, Advanced Petrochemical Company announced the signing of long-term off-take agreements for the sale of PP with Mitsubishi Corporation of Japan (150,000 metric ton per annum) and Domo Investment Group of Belgium (100,000 metric ton per annum), to be effective from January 1, 2019 for a period of ten years after the expiry of the previous off-take agreements.
According to MRC's ScanPlast report, overall PP production in Russia increased in January-July 2020 by 24% year on year to 1,063,700 tonne. ZapSibNeftekhim accounted for the main increase in the output.
Advanced Petrochemical Company (before Advanced Polypropylene) is a Saudi Joint Stock Company, established in October 2005. The company was initially launched by National Polypropylene Limited, jointly owned by Mr. Khalifa Al Mulhim, the chief executive officer of Advanced, and Mr. Monther Laheeq, who negotiated all the main deals related to the project, either before or after the establishment of Advanced Petrochemical. Currently, National Polypropylene Limited controls 7.9% of Advanced Petrochemical. Advanced Petrochemical started the construction of its plants in May 2005. The company produces 455,000 tons per year of propylene and 450,000 tons per year of polypropylene from its production facility located in Jubail Industrial City, in the Eastern coast of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.